Thursday, May 26, 2011

TRAVEL BUG BITTEN & CURED? ..surely not.

All my life I've loved travelling.
Whether it's been a 3 month camping trip with the parentals 1/2 way round Australia, a tropical island or 3, UK,
Europe, America, Japan..
I've loved every inch of it.
And for the past 5 years (that i can remember..) i have been overseas each year.
All up it's a grand total of 7 times overseas.
To say it feels rewarding knowing i have done that at a young age makes me happy.
What is it that we love about travelling 24 hours on a plane to a city/state/country that we have never been to, where we don't know anyone & we absolutely cannot wait to get there?
Perhaps it's because we are so sick of our mundane, routine lives at 'home' that we need to mix things up & get some

change & escape.
Escape to a place where no one knows us, it's fresh, new, exciting, scary, mysterious & there are endless discoveries to be had.
Short term or long term.
And in turn, you always learn more about the world & yourself.
Bottom line- it's a win/win situation.
You get to learn how other people live, taste different flavours, experience different seasons,
become engulfed by amazing scenery.
Learn phrases in another language so you can chat to locals.
Feel like the odd one out for once when you are the only Caucasian person on a train in Japan. And on top of that, the only person with blue eyes for as far as you can see.
This year however, is different.
For some reason, at the outset of 2011 i said to myself 'Stay in Australia for 12 months & just save some money.'
You know what? So far, it's worked out pretty well for me.
....i have to admit though, i was *THIS* close to booking a trip to Europe to meet up with friends for later this year.
But something wasn't sitting right.
My heart wasn't in it.
First time ever. I have no idea why.
Am i finally rid of the ill fated travel bug that loves to bite?
Was it because of other things going on in my life
that needed closure?
Is it because i truly am happy to save some cash &
stay in my country?
Or maybe I've simply grown up & am reassessing life. Yes, I've been to Europe 3 times. Loved it every time. Do i really need to go again? Is that just insanely greedy & self centred?
Having rambled on about all of this.. I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of months I'm on here bragging about just booking a flight overseas.. but until then, watch this, its amazing:
Then sometimes you'll come across a person who has never been overseas, who has never been on a plane & who has never left the state they live in.
Honey.
You need to go get yourself a life & a plane ticket out of there.
Even if it's just interstate.
Pronto.
(as they say in Italy)
..but you wouldn't know because you've never been.
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment