Friday, June 17, 2011

SYDNEY ADVENTURES

It begins.
3 day long weekend.
15 Melbournians.
1 Capital City.
~INVASION~
Before i even left Melbourne, 2 good things happened to me.
1- Phone call from a friend offering me to pick me up at Sydney airport. Score! Thanks mate!
2- A text from another friend asking me out for dinner in Sydney. Lovely.
FAST FORWARD
I'm in Sydney. I've checked into accom. I've eaten. And am on my way to a party in Manly.
On the way, a friend sent me a text saying 'don't bother coming.'
We were 5 minutes away.. and well, i was intrigued. Onward.
To say that Melbourne brought the party to the party, is an understatement.
(dear Sydneysiders: don't hate me!)
I think it was half Melbourne & half Sydney people.
The guys were *rather* friendly.
Randomly coming up & introducing themselves.
Getting in photos with you.
(Quite a change from Melbournians who are rather highly strung & too scared of rejection that they wont bother to say 'hi.')
Then this one guy who i had only just met grabbed my hand on the dancefloor & said 'Lets salsa!'
Right.
They're playing house music & you want to salsa?!
So we salsa'd for a bit & i was just not feeling it.
Couldn't get me out of the awkwardness fast enough.
Yes, i did feel a little bit bad that i didn't dance with him for long. Sorry. I'm sure you're lovely.
I wont lie, i prefer dancing to dirty RnB.
"Any day of the week & twice on Sundays"- that's a quote from my favourite movie, 'A Few Good Men.'
Back to the party.
I did definitely meet some nice people & caught up with a lovely friend which was ace.
She actually said to me 'When i sent you that text, the party was really boring, but then all of the Melbourne crew showed up & it got heaps better! You guys bought the party!'
I was quietly stoked :)
The difference between a Sydney party & a Melbourne party?
Who even knows.
If I was to speculate.. i would say it's the people.
Melbournians aren't wildly crazy, we just don't give a rats as long as we're enjoying ourselves & having fun, nothing else matters.

Making fools of ourselves? Yeah. We don't care.
Good friends. Good tunes. Good vibes.
Maybe because Sydney is such a beautiful city there's a pretense that comes with living there?
Dare i say, a standard that if you don't meet, you'll feel like the odd one out & will be getting odd sideways glances.
Or as a friend said to me recently "it's like a disabled kid on the bus - you know its not right to stare but somehow you
can't avert your eyes."
If you don't fit the mould, do you get rejected?
Please don't get me wrong, i love every bit about Sydney & i always have a blast each time I'm there.
HOLD ON.
I love Sydney.. I always have a blast there..
Am i meant to be a Sydneysider?
XOX

No comments:

Post a Comment